It was only recently that I decided to get rid of my land line and switch to a voice over IP (VoIP) telephone system. I was tired of expensive long distance charges and frequent poor quality sound due to the old analog connections. I compared multiple providers and decided that Vonage’s Home Phone Service was best suited to my needs.
Vonage provides a reliable, high quality voice connection with no latency and it uses my existing broadband internet connection. I appreciate that the Vonage service does not require the fastest internet connection available to sound good. It uses about 90kbps at its highest setting and about 30kbps at its lowest. Considering that a “slow” connection these days is about 1Mbps, you will have plenty of bandwidth to make great sounding calls and surf the web. In fact, calls have never sounded better.
Initially I was concerned about what would happen if my internet connection went down. I run a business out of my home. What if someone was trying to get in touch with me but could not get through? Fortunately, if your internet connection is down, your incoming Vonage phone calls can be forwarded to either a land line or a cell phone. You can specify this by setting up a “Network Availability Number” during sign up. This great feature prevents me from missing any important phone calls.
I was also very concerned about calling 911 in case of an emergency. Some of the other companies I researched did not recommend making 911 calls over VoIP. Because VoIP uses the internet, emergency services may have trouble finding the location of the call. Fortunately, when you sign up for Vonage, you provide them with your physical address. In the event you call 911, your local Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) with be provided with your address and phone number. As an added layer of safety, if connecting to your local PSAP fails or is unavailable, Vonage will send your call to the national emergency response center. Do keep in mind that if your internet connection is down you cannot call 911.
I highly recommend Vonage’s Home Phone Services as a reliable, safe and cost effective replacement to your existing land line. I have been so impressed with my Vonage service that I have recommended it to friends, family and clients too. Go to https://www.vonagedeals.com/ to sign up.
5 Tips For Business Telecommunications Success
Effective use of telecommunications tools is the key to a business’s ability to survive and thrive in today’s internet information highway and global economic market. The internet is established in over 200 countries, making computers and smart phones essential tools in today’s business environment. These five basic tips can assist a business in utilizing today’s technology to its greatest advantage, no matter what its size:
1. Identify the business’s communication needs. What is the primary means of interoffice communication? What is the primary means by which customers contact the business? What marketing techniques does the business use?
2. Identify the tools which would most effectively meet the business’s communication needs. Is there a central office where work is done and/or dispatched from? Or is most customer contact done while traveling? If printed materials are involved, what kind of color, quality, and volume is required?
3. Research before making a decision. Compare telecommunications providers via regularly updated sources so the most current information is obtained. Don’t just compare price; be sure to look at total data packages, availability and reliability in your area (some networks do not work in outlying, rural areas), and what office equipment (including phones) is most compatible with which data package.
4. Talk to a professional. After researching data packages and equipment, talk to a professional who works for each of the top three telecommunications companies selected. Be sure to clearly state the needs of the business, its location(s), and the manner in which most business is expected to be transacted. It might be helpful to write down a list of questions to ask each of the professionals before calling, and then write down the answers for comparison later.
5. Follow up. Compare responses from the professionals. Perform follow-up research, based on the responses, on the telecommunications companies’ websites, on consumer websites such as the better business bureau, and in various professional journals to see what other consumers have to say about the products and telecommunications providers being considered.
There is never any guarantee when purchasing a telecommunications plan and the associated equipment; however, a well-informed consumer is most likely to become a satisfied, successful customer.